Introduction

I'm not new to blogging. I blogged under a pseudonym from the aughts through the present on several community blogs. I've blogged under my own name on academic matters for about roughly a decade, and have used Twitter as a microblogging platform until recently. I do have a presence on Mastodon to continue what I did on Twitter. 

That said, microblogs have their shortcomings, including, most importantly, the ability to add some nuance to one's writing. Complex ideas are difficult to express with character limitations. The old-school blog is probably much better suited for my purposes.

I chose the name, The Books of Bokonon, for a reason. Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle was one of the books that strongly influenced me as a teen. The quasi-religion, Bokononism, is light-hearted while pointing out the complexities of being human and finding meaning in life. Cat's Cradle captured the hubris that could lead our species to self-destruct. I've shared Vonnegut's concerns for a long time. 

I want to use this space a lot like I used Twitter and use Mastodon. I want to be able to reflect on and discuss national and international politics from a center-left perspective. I also am someone who has a strong fascination with culture and pop culture, and would love a space to indulge that as well. So, you'll get my thoughts on a variety of topics, as well as videos from late night talk show hosts, music videos, and perhaps videos from vloggers who can offer unique perspectives that I think are valuable. 

Right now this blog is very much a work in progress. I haven't even quite settled on a layout. I will sooner or later. In the meantime, watch this space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ozymandias

Could a Russian Revolution End the Ukraine War?

Leap Day 2020 retrospective